Thursday, October 25, 2007

Rockie Mountain Tour Continues

Sunday continues, to Banff and Johnson Canyon.

Steven drives us slowly through Banff many of the houses are built in the style of Swiss chalets. It's a pretty town and it's center is being revamped and brought up to date. The Visitor's Guide States 'Downtown is a perfect mix of urban sophistication and small town charm'.
We visit the Bow river and Bow Falls. They flow around the base of the Banff Springs Hotel that was built by the Canadian Pacific Railway.

The Bow River and
by Bow River Falls

Banff town center improvements with Cascade Mountain in the background.

We have a pleasant couple of hours to look around the towns shops and have lunch before piling back on the bus for the short drive up to Sulphur Mountain. Here Gondolas take you to the top of the mountain, not one of the highest but it's location affords one of the best 360 degrees views of the surrounding mountains. It's very cold at the top and it begins to snow as the clouds roll in.






on the Top of Sulphur Mountain.

We would have liked to have experienced the Hot springs at the hotel at the base of the mountain. We had brought our swim suits but unfortunately we ran out of time to get there.

The next stop is at Johnston Canyon There is a 30 minute walk along the paths to the lower falls and the upper falls are another 30 minutes or so on . The falls are 98 feet deep in places. I'm afraid I don't make it to the falls I walk for about a quarter of a mile before the uphill slopes finally exhaust me. I'm feeling very tired today. Nancy is ahead of us. Dave goes on with the camera and catches up with Nancy who soon also has had enough and turns back. I recover and begin to slowly walk back and Nancy soon catches up with me.

Back at the Lake Louise Inn we have a scrumptious meal in the restaurant of prime Alberta rib of beef. The meal is 'all you can eat' Mmmmm................. All I can say It was good!

No comments: