Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Sorry, Can't Resist These Places


Tuesday June 7th.

The 'Chauffeurs' have had a busy morning. Car no. 2 has developed a problem. Probably to do with old age as both of their cars are older than my aging, trusty (or should that be rusty!) workhorse at home. Anyway their regular repairman is unavailable and the replacement, to Johns wary instinct, seems to be out to make a fast buck. So the sick car is shunted off to have a second opinion.
Once the sick car is dealt with the elderly resident of Whistler Court need to be whisked off to see the Doggie Doctor for blood tests. A trying appointment for all concerned. Jaine, the furry patient, is not partial to being stuck with a phlebotomy needle.
The residents of 'Countryside', us, decamp to the Community House to sit knitting/reading papers/drinking coffee, while I have my morning exercise i.e. a swim in the super warm pool. Swim over I decide to try the Jacuzzi steaming away inside through the open patio doors. I've never lusted over a hot tub but I thought 'Why not, give it a go.' I think. I lasted about all of two minuted. Phew, way too hot. Not for me and I hastily removed myself.
After lunch Nancy arrives in car No. 1 to take us out. Yesterday, after much discussion we decided on Manderville Gardens and Lee Valley tools. I can't resist a Garden center where ever I am! The Tool place I'm indifferent to.


Manderville Gardens is one of those upmarket Garden Centers. A bit like a souped up version of Van Hague in the 'Boro'. Besides a large array of well tended plants for every situation. The only display missing here is Van Hague's overprices foodie section.I love some of these mature plants in pots and found several specimens that would go in difficult patches in our garden. We took photos of the labels. hoping to find similar specimens once back home.



Dave's favourite potted plants, the orchids, are well catered for in an impressive display.

There's the usual display of posh home designers stuff that becomes today's home dust collectors and tomorrows attic fillers before being dispatched to the 'boot' market. There was some good gadgets in the kitchen area but like all gadgets nowadays I always think twice before I decide to buy. Today's good ideas can quickly become tomorrows cupboard clutter. However, I bought some silicone egg poachers and a fridge magnet clip to hold notes. So exciting! Nancylee bought me a neat weed grubbing out tool.

.

One of the two resident cats takes a nap on a comfy display sofa.
This garden Gnome stands tall under this beautiful mature red Maple in a pot. Goodness knows what a specimen like this would cost. Probably more than I have in the bank! 'Whoops, sorry, on closer inspection the gnome is no other than 'Himself.' The legs have come out at last, it's getting warmer!
Onwards then, to Lee Valley tools, Dave's favorite place. No. one son wants a special router bit. They have such a large selection on display. We've no idea what he need at the moment so I guess we'll be back when we've found out.

No comments: