A beautiful sunny morning. A quick trip to Richmond Center to get some sewing alterations organised before heading to the Queen Elizabeth Park. This is the highest point in Vancouver and called the Little Mountain. It's a place for walking and picnics for activities like Tennis, Tai Chi, Pitch and Put and Lawn Bowls. The gardens and arboretum are planted in a disused quarry area.
In 1928 the Canadian Pacific Railway sold the Quarry to the City of Vancouver of inaction in the redevelopment of Little Mountain. Then, in 1940, the site was given a new name, the Queen Elizabeth Park, after the 1939 visit of King George VI and his consort, Elizabeth. Then in 1948, Deputy Superintendent William Livingstone put his full attention and the combined talents of his dedicated Park Board horticultural staff, to the task of transforming the site.
By October 1949 the quarries' surrounding slopes were being planted as an Arboretum, with the long-term goal of displaying there every tree species native to Canada, at least those that would prosper in Vancouver's climate, over time.
Between 1953 and 1954 the main quarry garden was developed. By 1956, an additional reservoir was completed on the park's southern slope with an innovative roof allowing the construction of 22 tennis courts on its top. For Vancouver's 75th Anniversary, the north quarry garden was completed and dedicated as part of a series of projects to mark the occasion. The city's "highest" pitch & putt golf course officially opened in 1962 followed in 1966 by the completion of the lawn bowling green.
December 1969 Prentice Bloedel gave over $1 million toward the development of a new plaza, covered walkways, fountains and the domed Bloedel Floral Conservatory. An avid collector of modern art, Mr. Bloedel further enhanced the new plaza with the gift of the Henry Moore sculpture Knife Edge - Two Piece giving focal point to the vast concrete landscape.
In 1974, the park's last major development in the original plan was undertaken in the form of a new restaurant, perched over the north quarry garden. This was called the Quarry House (later Seasons in the Park) and though owned by the Park Board, was leased to an independent operator.
Between 2003 and 2006 the park's two earthen reservoirs were reconstructed by the Greater Vancouver Regional District to bring them up to current earth quake standards.
No comments:
Post a Comment