Monday, June 27, 2011

An Afternoon in Ketchikan

Friday June 24th.

Early Friday morning the ship sailed down Chatham Strait around Cape Decision and up through Summer Strait. This is an area where whales are commonly seen but none show today. Continuing in a Southerly course into Clarence Strait and on to Ketchikan. In the evening from Ketchikan we sail towards Twin Island Pilot Station where the Alaskan Pilots disembark and sail on a South course through Helcate Strait.

This morning Nancy and I decide to take in some of the activities and go to the Taste of Global Cooking demonstration. I must admit I was a little disappointed. The demonstration was quite haphazard. The two dishes, Cream Brule and Mushroom Risotto, were not really demonstrated very well at all. We then decided to take in a jewellery fashion show. Another disappointment. The pieces of jewellery are small and difficult to actually see and the background music drowned out the shows compere.

Nancy’s been very quiet this morning. Over lunch she admits her sinuses are playing up and retires to her State room for a rest. While we lunch we dock at Ketchikan. Somehow I miss Nancylee, John and Dave so I go ashore alone. The town has the usual Shipping Company’s shops along the dockside.



Nancy’s still not well and forgoes tonight’s dining. Our waiter, Ketut, is quite concerned and he gets her a light meal taken to her room. As we eat tonight the ship leaves the Dock and sets sail for the next leg of our journey.

No comments: