Thursday, November 1, 2007

A Cultural Afternoon

Thursday November 1st, Vancouver Art Gallery and Georgia O'keeffe
Georgia O'keeffe
The Vancouver Art Gallery .
My late art mentor Marc Sewell had often said to me that my paintings had echos of the modernist American Artist, Georgia O'Keeffe. At the time I didn't know her work, so I was delighted to see that Vancouver's Art Gallery had a retrospective of her paintings. The exhibition called Nature and Abstraction is the second solo exhibition of O’Keeffe’s work shown in Canada and the first in 50 years. There are a collection of 28 canvases spanning the artist’s entire career, the exhibition also is exhibiting a selection of photographs of O’Keeffe taken by husband and fellow artist, Alfred Stieglitz.


Wandering around the exhibition I begin to realise what Marc meant. Quite a few of my attempts at abstract do have some slight resemblance to O'keeffe's work. I really do like her style they have such depth and such feeling. Her use of colour is wonderful.

The other major exhibition in the gallery is a collection of photographs by a Vancouver Photographer Roy Arden. His work is extremely gritty and certainly pulls no punches. He must have photographer all the grot spots he could find in Vancouver. He certainly makes a mockery of B C's claim to be the most 'beautiful place on earth!'Oh yes and Bill Clintons been in Downtown Vancouver and do you know what, darn it , we missed him!

No comments: