Tuesday, November 13, 2007

After the Storm

Armistice Bank Holiday or 'Veterans Day ' November 12th

Last night a vicious gale ripped across Vancouver Island across the Georgia Straights to the Lower mainland of BC. Victoria the Capital on the southern tip of Vancouver Island took the brunt of the storm and sustained the most damage. Across Vancouver and surrounding city areas buildings were damaged, roofs ripped off, trees felled, ripping power cables out and causing extensive power outages.
Nancy and I slept through most of it and the only annoyance was the rose bushes scrapping across the lounge window upsetting the cats Sam and Toby. I woke around six and realised how windy it was and the rain was driving on my window. We got away lightly with no damage. Nancylee and John didn't though Their fence came down and part of the outhouse lean too conservatory collapsed.
Nancy's not too well again today so we decide not to venture out and have a quite day. Nancylee and John are coming over for dinner and we have a rib of beef out of the freezer defrosted waiting to be cooked.
During the late morning the winds blew the clouds away and the sun managed to shine and in a while we venture out to cut down the offending rose bushes and clear a few of the dead late summer flowers away. The lawn is so waterlogged .
The rest of the day was spent knitting, watching TV and I did some painting. I bought some luscious looking juicy figs at Granville Market on Saturday so I painted them with a large red apple. I tried Nancylee acrylics but they're not the same as the ones I use and I found them too loose to work with and the pigment too flat when dried so I reverted to my water colours.
Nancylee shopped for fresh veg then came over and cooked the dinner. Mmmmm..... that beef was delicious just melted in the mouth. Thanks Nancy.

No comments: