Friday, November 2, 2007

Christmas is Coming!!!!

The Changing Seasons.

The rind of white frost covering the neighbouring roofs suggested warm coats for this morning's walk. Nancy has already left for her walk by the time I pull on my coat and snuggle my new fur trimmed hat over my ears. She walks right down to the Dyke two blocks further on than Seafair. I usually manage to get to Seafair Shop before we meet up and walk back.

This morning is clear and crisp. The sun, still low in the sky makes the dew on the grass sparkle. The path and grass is strewn with dark maroon leaves shed from the avenue of Maple trees that line the path. A thin layer of rippled clouds slowly creeps across the sky. I walk briskly, enjoying the early morning sun. At the shops, the Halloween decorations are being removed in favour of Snowmen and Santa's.

Later in the morning we decide to hop on a bus to Steveston and have a fish and chip lunch at Pa Jos. The sun, by now, has sadly disappeared and it's cold and grey as the bus trundles down to Steveston.

Our first shopping stop is at a tiny store absolutely stuffed to the roof with yarns of every colour you can imagine. Dave is released to browse the village on his own and we'll meet up for lunch. I find some gorgeous wool to make scarves for Christmas presents. That is, if I don't decide my neck deserves one more! It just may as I love the colour and texture of the bottom yarn.
Seafair Mall is not the only place preparing for the Christmas season This 'posh upmarket' gift has it's window tastefully decorated for the winter season.

This store isn't decked out with Christmas goodies yet except a few cards. It's deck is still displaying it's summer tourist wares. I like this drift wood bird house. Maybe a little difficult to get in the suitcase though!

Watching the boats selling fresh fish in the harbour while we wait for Dave, we realise how cold the wind whipping across the estuary is. Its got quite a chill factor to it.I'm afraid we chickened out of eating at Pa Jos as it's open air eating. I know it's the best fish and chips in Vancouver but the cold won. We opted for the Seafood restaurant by the harbour. What did we order? A seafood platter to share. Halibut, cod, prawns, oysters, all in batter, calamari, fries and coleslaw. Quite a platter full. I wish I'd photographed it. I'm not sure two people could get through it. We struggled. It would have fed four comfortably.
Got the paint brushes and paints out when we got home. I have to do something with these fabulous autumn colours. Results will follow.

No comments: