Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Years Eve in Canada

Wednesday December 31st
Last nights snow never settled thank goodness, but its remains icy underfoot. We spent a quite day New Years Eve. I rested, recovering from an unexplained fever I suffered during the night.
NancyLee collected us around 4 30pm and we drove the her home at Whistler Court via the Sea Fare Mall. The car park at Sea Fare the shopping Mall down the road from us has finally managed to clear all the snow from the sidewalks and the kerb sides and it's made mountainous piles of dirty icy snow the waits to melt. All the main roads are clear but all the kerb sides and many minor and side roads all over the city are still a mess. Ridges of compacted ice remain causing havoc to drivers and pedestrians.
I sit in the car waiting while Nancylee and Nancy dash into the shops. There's a debate on the radio about the conditions of the roads all around Vancouver and its surrounding city's. This snowfall is unprecedented for this area of Canada and is the main reason for this chaos. The debate focuses about whose responsible for the snow clearance. The city hasn't ploughed enough side roads and apparently there is a bye law that says that householders can be fined if they fail to clear the sidewalks in front of their property. There are many elderly and infirm citizens that are unable to do this. There are also many who do not know that this is their responsibility. Some areas have helped each other out but there are plenty of roads and sidewalks that remain a mess.
Back at Whistler Court Nancylee cooks a splendid roast beef dinner and we retire to wait to see the New Year in.

Playing Monopoly! I'm still not sure of the rules as they seem to make them us as they play. Shhhh....... and they cheat!!! Nancy and I stick to Connect Four but I get trounce winning only four games.

...............drinking Baileys on ice...............

.......Then we toast the New Year in with Champagne........

HAPPY NEW YEAR.

1 comment:

edwortus said...

Hi this is Ed Ken's son inlaw,great pics though I think you should share the snow about.Dave is sitting in Kens living roon having tea and mince pies.Think they are in mourning at the Chequers shutting.Best WISHES FOR THE NEW YEAR ED AND FAMILY