Friday, January 2, 2009

ICE

Friday Jan 2nd.
It's a bright sunny day today and you'd think the snow would be melting rapidly in the sunshine. Yesterday when we went for a walk around the complex the water was running in rivers towards the drains in the road. Today however the water has iced over and not melting despite the above freezing temperature and the sun. The slush has iced over in dangerous ridges. When we went for our walk today expecting the same conditions as yesterday we got quite a shock. My shoes have a good grip and I quickly learnt that walking on the flat ice was safer than negotiating the uneven partially melted icy snow ridges. We kept our walk short today and I managed to stay upright but I admit I was glad to get back home. The sharp fresh air was good though. Nancy came a cropper half way round, she said she was OK but I'm sure she must have a bruised hip.
Abbotsford further in along the Frazer Valley has white out blizzard conditions today. The storm is coming our way and is expected tonight with an even bigger storm to follow. I think the second storm is expected to be rain. I'm not sure if that will improve conditions or make it worse.

No comments: