Monday, January 26, 2009

Another New Years Eve.






Sunday 25th. Chinese New Years Eve.
It's another bright clear sunny cold day as we drive into Vancouver towards Kitslano today. We stop in Kits. and have a coffee and timbits (a box of ten mini Tim Hortons doughnuts, Mmmm so morish!) in Tim Hortons before hitting 'Urban Yarns' for the last time this trip. My resolve not to add to my already large stash of yarn soon dissolves among all these delicious textures and colours. Soon I have another pile of wool with projects in mind.

Carrying onto Vancouver in the afternoon we are amazed by the number of people our walking along the beach in Kitslano and along English Bay. It's almost as crowded as a summers day. I think they all must have got cabin fever over the last few weeks with the snow and fog! The temperatures still hovering at freezing though, but the sun really makes you feel better.
We're off to the Fish House restaurant in Stanley park for 'Afternoon Tea'. Quite a few Tea houses, hotels and restaurants keep this old English custom going here in British Columbia. They serve dainty crust less sandwiches, scones with jam and cream, and dainty cakes on a three tier cake stand along with a your choice of tea. I doubt if there are many places in England that still serve High Tea or Afternoon Tea Just a few maybe. I can remember having tea like this when I was small and out with my grandparents on an outing to the 'seaside'. As a small boy Dave would have tea at the Ritz in London when he was out with his Mum.
The Fish House restaurant is by the tennis courts in Stanley Park and we are amazed to see the courts are pack with tennis players wrapped up warmly against the cold.

This evening we have a big family banquet to attend in the Empire Restaurant in Richmond. This is a Chinese tradition on New Years Eve. New Year's all steeped in cultural traditions and superstitions too many to list here. Strangely they are observed more by the younger generation than their elders. We are sitting with the 'Kids' tonight. Although all the kids are all grown in their 20's and 30's. They all speak in English and there is more banter and laughter on our table than their parents table! The meal, course after course, runs over it's allotted time and people waiting for the second sitting all wait in the door. The waiters struggle to get food out to the crowed tables. Eventually throughly 'stuffed ' we squeeze through the waiting people out into the cold night. I say my goodbyes to the family as I fly home tomorrow.

No comments: