Yesterday was a wet rainy day and I didn't feel like doing much so we stayed in and knitted. Well Nancy and I knitted Dave surfed on his iPad.
This morning we got ready to go out, we had decided last night that we should go the Imax theatre in Metro Vancouver. As the dawn gave way to daylight the sun put in an appearance and the clouds cleared. Mmmm, not what the forecast had told us! When Nancy L. arrived she announced No Imax. The sun's out so we were off up Grouse Mountain. As we drove out of Richmond into Vancouver the skies clouded over and by the time we reached Down Town Vancouver it was raining. Oh well we'd dressed warm.
I was surprised at the changed in Metro Vancouver. In the three years since we were last here the Glass city had got even bigger with lots more glass high rise apartment blocks being built.
The drive over Lions Gate Bridge to North Vancouver went smoothly. The bridge can often be a slow crossing over the Burrard Inlet. The drive up to the car park at the Grouse Mountain cable car terminal only takes a short time. The cable car going up was surprisingly full considering the grey wet weather. Before we reached halfway though, the rain was turning to sleet, then to snow. By the time we reached the Ski lodge we were way into the cloud cover and it was snowing quite hard. The ground and trees were all covered with snow.
 |
| the ice rink out side of the ski lodge, Skating was included in the cable car ride up the mountain. |
 |
| shrouded in cloud! |
 |
| In the restaurant it was warm and cosy. |
 |
| it was lunch time when we reached the lodge so we decide to fuel up before braving the snow. |
The sweet potato soup and the pulled pork sandwich I had ordered was definitely filling and more than the light meal I had thought it would be. Dave and Nancy ordered chicken wings. That came with a small dish of hot water and a white tablet. Except the tablet was not a tablet! You dropped it in the hot water and it swelled up to be a warm cloth to wipe your hands after eating the messy wings. Neat.
 |
| Decorations inside the Ski Lodge. |
 |
| She made me wear this stupid head piece!!! |
 |
| so I made him wear a stupid hat! |
 |
| and her!!! |
 |
| some of the Gingerbread made made by children for a children's charity. |
After looking around the seasonal attractions inside the Lodge we went out into the snow. Nancy and Dave walked around the rink as far as Santa's grotto on the other side. I decided not to risk it. Although I had my snow shoes with me I had not thought to put them on. I daren't risk a fall not worth the hassle. The Lower Mainland sun had fooled us! I sat in the fresh air on a bench under the lee of the Lodge until the cold got to me and I retreated into the warmth of the Lodge. We retreated into the Lodges theatre to watch the short Christmas Shrek Movie before a warming hot chocolate and descending the mountain in the crowded cable car.
 |
| Cream topped hot chocolate |
 |
The weather was closing in as the day went on.
The return drive to Richmond was reasonable quick except for the slow traffic on the Lions Gate bridge. The rain stayed with us from the Grouse car park to reaching Metro Vancouver then surprise, surprise, the sun broke through hitting the sides of the glass high rise building and reflecting off them into our eyes.
|
No comments:
Post a Comment