Sunday, December 14, 2014

Granville Island

This morning there's a clear sky and as skies lightened I glanced out of the kitchen window while making coffee and thought 'Oh my, there's been snow!' Adjusts glasses, and peers out only to realise no snow just a hoar frost on the roof tops. As the light got brighter the morning sunrise lit up the sky and the promise of a bright sunny day.
We're out early this morning, Nancy to look after her Mom for the day and us to Granville Island with Nancy L. We love Granville Island as much as Steveston. It's not really an Island but an area of land on the edge of the Burrard Inlet. Years ago it was just an industrial area and a cement works still survive there. The area is a mis-mash of mixed building that bustle and thrive. The Public Market is packet with foods from around the world and places to stop for food and coffee. We haven't too much time to spare this morning on wandering around as Nancy L needs to get home, so to get the best of what we want to see and do we all split up and agree to meet in one hour. 
First I make for a yarn store and indulge in two more hanks of yarn. The hand dyed yarn colours are so delicious it's difficult to choose. They're artisan yarns so not  cheap.  The lady in the shop gives me a fancy fabric bag to carry them in. 
the food market
several aisles of different food items to browse.
I bump into Nancy L. buying fresh Vegetables.

The Net Loft.
 Next I head for the Net Loft this is a old warehouse subdivided into  small  Artisan shops. They are a delight to wander through. I wish I had a bottomless purse! one shop had a selection of beautiful silver jewellery and hand painted silk scarfs. All suited my taste in design and colours. The very stylish Japanese lady who designed and made the items was very attentive explaining the designs. Very tempted to buy I made my escape when more people started asking questions about the scarfs. I think she must have thought they were a better bet for a purchase.  
looking out to the Georgia Straights.
I left the shop units and wandered out to the water front decked area. The frost that had covered all the wood seats had melted in the morning sunshine so the wet seats were not an option to rest on so I push on back through the Public market. The many different food smell make me feel distinctly peckish.
Meeting back up at our allotted time My Knees are playing up so we decide to drive off to a coffee stop. The first coffee shop looked packed and with no place to park so we head into Kitsilano to a coffee and donut shop for a mid morning coffee break before heading home.
Dave decides to go wild with an apple and bacon donut!
Nancy plays safe with an plain donut. I choose a sugar and cinnamon one.

No comments: