Friday, July 8, 2011

Point Grey and Urban Yarns

Today was to be a long day out. Grouse Mountain. definitely not the Grouse Grind though. That's a 2.9-kilometer trail up the face of Grouse Mountain,often called “Mother Nature’s StairMaster.” It would have most certainly been the cable car for us!!! 

Sadly though this outing was not to be today. Sensibly John rang to get the currant weather conditions up the mountain. We've had some lovely warm sunny days. Today though the weathers against us. Clouds hang over Vancouver and the mountains are obliterated. Rain is also predicted. A quick  telephone discussion followed resulting in a change of venue. Science World the great Geo Dome built for the 1986 Expo. After Expo it was converted in to a multi galleried science museum with an Imax cinema.

Lunch  plans are already made, so we drive over to Helen's Grill and Restaurant on Main and King Edward. Not a posh nosh place this lunch time but a homely 'Greasy Spoon' Diner serving Greek/Canadian style food. Nancy's and Dave's menu choice came with a bowl on homemade chicken and veg soup. It was so good that John and I decided to have a bowl full as well. Over lunch and chating about the last time we went to Science world I suddenly have a reversal of a senior moment. I had looked up Science world web site a couple of weeks earlier and renovations were starting in July. John powers up the iPhone to check. My memory recovery's right over half of the exhibits are closed. Another discussion followers and Nancy decides she wants to go to Urban Yarns in Point Grey. 
Another nice suburb of Vancouver. John and Dave decide to drive on to the University campus and surprise Nancylee. We will meet back at the 'T Room' bakery and kitchen shop further  along the road

Driving on through Vancouver suburb's to Point Grey Village Nancy and I are dropped off almost outside Urban Yarns, a yarn emporium that puts all British yarn shops I've ever been in to shame. Apparently we missed seeing Robert Carlyle in there, by just a day! The shop has actually relocated several yards along the road since my last visit. It's packed to the rafters with the most delicious yarns of every colour and texture you could possible want. The shop is not so much bigger, but has a mezzanine level where they hold classes. 
Nancy has become a sock knitting champion since Nancylee and I taught her the method on our last visit. She selects more sock wool while I browse. It stimulates the urge to break out the needles once again. I really don't need more wool as I have a hugh stash at home in the 'Boro. When Nancy has purchased her choice of yarn we discover the slight drizzle outside has turned into a positive deluge, so we settle on their comfy couch and browse the knitting books and patterns.
Finally I  give in to a purchase, a hank of wool and pattern. It's still raining but closer to our meet up time. A quick call to John's cell to tell him we were decanting to the T Room  and we edged our way along the shops trying to keep clear of the rain. 
This shop has some really neat kitchen gadgets and a reasonable large selection of cake decorating items, American style of course. If I hadn't got to pack stuff into a suitcase to get it home I'd be spending money! After browsing the cookware section of the shop for a time we order earl grey tea and wait for the boys, they're not long.
The Boys, (John and Dave of course) had surprised Nancylee in a quite moment between her duties as a coordinator and lecturer at a week long conference run at UBC. Their later  tour of the University campus grounds had been cut short because of the rain so they'd dropped in on Steve Galloway, a celebrated author and lecturer on the UBC's creative writing program. 
Not exactly the day we had originally planned but enjoyable never the less. It's not where we go but the company we keep that matters.

No comments: