It's Dave's penultimate day today. He flies home tomorrow evening. This morning I do a couple of wash loads to make sure he goes home with cases full of clean clothes. I'm not sure if I'll be able to pack all I want him to take home but I'll have a damn good try.
This afternoon we go back to the Olympic Oval in Richmond to watch the Canadian single distance Speed skating championships. There are more bleachers installed now around the ice and I discover that these North America sports seating systems called bleachers are not at all comfortable to sit on! We're surprised by how many people turn out on a Monday to watch the event. Dave went to watch rink side and said that by the rink side you really got a feeling how fast these skaters go.

Between the Ladies and the Men's championships the ice tractors came out to renew the ice surface. Its fascinating how these machines spray water then smooth it and by the time it has passed the surface is back to being smooth pristine and glass like.
While we were watching the heats we suddenly realised there was a blizzard blowing outside. Through the glass wall opposite it looked as if a fog had descended. The snow only lasted a short time before it turned to rain.. By the time we left the event the wind was still blowing but its driving gale force had subsided. The roads were littered with bits of the pine trees lining the roads and every now and again there was a broken branch on the ground. 
No comments:
Post a Comment