Friday August 12th.
This morning I manage to get my act in gear and get out into the garden early to plant some new lavenders in the 'Zen' garden. The pebble layer is so thick it takes me a while to push them to one side so I was able to slice through the weed barrier membrane to be able to plant in the soil. It was just as well I did it as Nancy, bless her, had, under instruction, watered the gardens newly planted plants and the pots last night. But, when I say watered I really meant half drowned! I removed the lavenders, who are use to dry well drained conditions, from a pint of water and planted them into the soil. There's plenty of sand in the area were they are now residing so hopefully death by drowning is now impossible. I then set about pruning Nancylee and John's sprawling tomato plant. They are going to be temporary Parisians at the end of the month so the tomato plant needed a new home. The gentle art of tomato cultivation has not reached the confines of Whistler Court but I did the best I could with the plant. Now, I have to leave written notes on plant care for Nancy as shes most definitely not a soil worshiper!
Job done and patio tidied just left me time for a relaxing swim before getting ready for a lunch date with Nancy's friends Weiman and Alex Wong.
Now, Weiman's, Nancy's garden helper and advised so she's pleased the garden work has been drastically reduced.
 |
| Dim Sum at Red Star |
 |
| Alex is clutching his precious iPad another devote like 'Himself' |
 |
| Japanese Supermarket in Yaohan Center. |
We all squeeze into Alex's car it's roomy for four but a bit squashy for five. I'm not in the back off course. One advantage of being an overweight senior!!! They drive us to the Yaohan Center to Red Star for Dim Sum. After lunch we go for a 'look see' in the T&T supermarket under the restaurant and then across the road to the bigger Yaohan Japanese supermarket.I find these supermarket so fascinating. While there's a wide assortment of Western food there's so much strange food. There's tanks full of live fish, oysters, lobsters crabs, king crabs and prawns to buy. No dead fish laid out on marble slabs here. Then, there's cooked food. Individual meals of all varieties, ready prepared for reheating. Pots and trays of food to purchase the quantities you want, to eat on the hoof or take home. The chiller cabinets and freezers are full of strange sometimes unidentifiable food. Pigs trotters chopped into portions ready for cooking, chickens feet. Baby turtles frozen and vacuumed packed. The fruits and veg, all so fresh looking, some I know, but thenrows of strange looking produce.
 |
| Note the orchids over the cabinets. |
Now I know some of you out there have commented about the blogs food content, but food is important and necessary and a big part of the Canadian West Coasts diverse culture. Well that's my excuse so here's some more.
Ralph noted in an earlier blog my anguish over the lack a basic good Sunday roast in the Canadian food industry, so he and Daniel decided to rectify this and cooked a delicious Prime Beef Rib 'Sunday' roast on Friday night. The only missing ingredient was the Beef's must have partner, Yorkshire Pudding. They're a piece of cake to a 'roast' cook, but not so easy to master when English food is not your cuisine. Ralph's batter was a disaster, his admission. Nancylee's 'Brit' side came out and decided Yorkshire puds were a must for the meal and set about whipping them up.
 |
| A 'Sunday' roast on Friday night. |
 |
| Cheers Daniel and Nancy |
 |
| Ralph and Me. |
 |
| Himself has emptied his plate and looks satisfied! |
and so to the food!
 |
| Four Ribs of Prime Beef...can you smell it? |
 |
| demise of a roast.Mmmmmmm......... |
 |
| a Perfect match Roast Beef and Yorkshire Puddings |
So thanks Ralph, Daniel and Nancylee for a traditional roast beef dinner. It sure was tasty and delicious. Top marks. Almost as good as mine!!! ...... and a lovely evening.
No comments:
Post a Comment